Top kitchen trends 2017
- Tuxedo kitchen cabinets: Mix up a kitchen’s color palette with Tuxedo cabinets. Homeowners can do a literal interpretation with black and white, but Zillow Digs’ design expert Kerrie Kelly suggests using other complementary colors, such as navy blue and soft gray, for a softer contrast.
- Hidden appliances: Ditch stainless steel appliances, which can feel cold and industrial, and switch them for hidden appliances that easily meld into the design scheme. Also, they provide an unexpected touch for potential buyers who plan on spending plenty of time in the kitchen.
- Wood paneling: Transport your buyers back to grandma’s kitchen with wood paneling, also known as shiplap. Kelly suggests using white shiplap, which gives a clean, modern finish.
- Mixed hardware finishes:Instead of going for a monochromatic stainless steel look, homeowners are choosing appliances and accessories with various finishes, such as gold, copper or pewter. The final result is an eclectic, one-of-a-kind space.
Fads to forget:
- Speckled granite: Homeowners are no longer limited to granite countertops. Instead, they’re going for quartz, marble and butcher block countertops that are easier to stain and maintain.
- Short cabinets: Ditch the short cabinets, and install taller ones. According to Kelly, tall cabinets make a small kitchen look bigger and brighter.
- Dark brown wood and paint colors: According to Kelly, “bigger and brighter” will be the name of the game for 2017. With that, dark paint, accessories and wood finishes will go out of style.